A guide to understanding the basics of keyword research
What is keyword research?
You have a website or you want to have one and you wonder what makes your target audience tick. This is something every new and old webmasters wonder about. The best way to determine this is to understand your niche well and figure out what people search for. Keyword Research is, therefore, one of the most sought-after digital marketing strategies.
Importance of keyword research
A keyword has the power to make or break your website. Let me elaborate this further. Just for example’s sake imagine you have a website that sells basketballs but you just have your focus keyword set as ‘balls”. Now a user searching for any kind of ball would be redirected to your website. But it may be just that they were looking for soccer balls or even ping pong balls. Unless you mention your target keyword properly, you are not only misleading people but also losing the valuable customers who are searching for basketballs. Thus, it is very important for to use target keywords for your website if you want more visitors to your website.
Types of keywords:
To understand the different types of keywords, we are going to take the example: “digital marketing company in USA”.
- Single Keyword: In the above example, “digital” is the single keyword
- Double Keywords: While “digital marketing” is the double keyword
- Long tail keyword: These are the kind of keywords that join all the keywords together. So in this example, “digital marketing company” becomes the long tail keyword.
- Location-based keywords: Here “in USA” or any other such location that targets a specific area fall under the category of location-based keywords.
How to do keyword research?
- Google Instant Search: If you type any word or phrase in the Google search box, you are shown some suggestions under the box. Also when you hit enter, Google displays a list of results at the bottom of the page which shows the related keywords to your search term. This is also one way to figure out key terms related to your niche.
- Analysing Competitors keywords: You can take a look at your competitor’s website by studying their content. You can also get an idea by seeing the keywords they use in their meta description and meta keywords to understand their strategy better. This will give you a clear idea of how to go about implementing the same on your site.
- Keywords Analysis tools: There are various tools available like Moz Keyword Explorer, Google Trends, Wordtracker’s Free Keyword Research Tool, etc that you can use to find the right keywords for your website.
- Google keyword planner: Use Google Adwords you can find the most searched keywords along with the volume of monthly searches. You can also plan your keywords accordingly and use it for future reference. It is one of the tools that digital marketing experts rely upon.
Undertaking keyword research is one the best ways to ensure visibility in search results as well as increase the number of visitors to your website. Keyword research is the foundation of search engine optimization (SEO) and essential for your online success.